Tuesday 21 October 2014

1.3 Dragon Knight Part 1

I march into the main room of the base, tossing my backpack aside. Folks at school, as they usually are, were being stupid when it comes to the League. Mostly, people have been talking about Charlie and Stefan.

And it was pretty much about the stupid stuff such whether they could be trusted or how cool it would be if they were villains like their grandparents. It hasn’t been helped by the media asking those questions and many others like them.

“Absolutely moronic,” I snarl as I sit down at the main computer.

I take a deep breath and calm down. I got meaningful stuff to worry about.
Right now I got to right a report on genetic and environmental differences for my science class. I may have only gotten it today, but I like to stay on top my school work. Doing so leaves me for free time for the truly important things, especially if something major comes up like another supervillain attack.

I’m about halfway done after ten minutes when an alert starts flashing. I bring it up, hoping it won’t be anything major.

UNKNOWN ENERGY DISTURBANCE DETECTED SOUTH OF DEERLEAP
RECOMMEND ACTION INVESTIGATE AND PROCEED WITH CAUTION
NOTIFYING LOCAL POLICE AND AUTHORITIES
NOTIFYING MI9 AGENCY
DO YOU WISH TO SEND ALERTS TO THE REST OF THE LEAGUE OF HEROES?

“What’s the threat level?” I ask the computer.
MINIMAL
78% LIKELIHOOD IS THAT IT IS AN INTERDIMENISIONAL PORTAL OF MICROSCOPIC SIZE
 ASSESSMENT IS INCOMPLETE AND INACCURATE DUE TO LACK OF INFORMATION REGARDING EVENTS

I think about it for a moment. Minimal threat and probably just a really small portal. The police, local council and MI9 have been told and will respond to it. The others are busy. No real need to bother them when I can just take the Sentinel armour and investigate myself.

After all, if I do need help, I can always call someone later.

“Don’t send an alert,” I tell the computer, “I can handle. Just save my homework to my folder.”

NO ALERTS SENT
SENTINEL IS RESPONDING TO SITUATION
SAVING GENETIC & ENVIRONMENTAL DIFFERENCES REPORT TO DANIEL SCIENCE HOMEWORK FOLDER

I close my text book and enter the lab.

The Sentinel armour goes on quickly as it always does. I’ll have to improve that over the holidays.

Just I’m taking off outside of the base, I receive an incoming call. MI9.

Probably Agent Lewis, I think as I answer.

“Sentinel,” says Lewis as I guessed correctly, “We received your notification on the energy disturbance. Any ideas on how to deal with it?”

“I’m in the Sentinel armour now,” I reply, “I’m flying over to investigate. The base computer says it’s probably a microscopic portal from another dimension, but it isn’t sure for certain. The threat level is minimal, but neither I nor the computer knows for certain how dangerous it is. I haven’t called the rest of the League about it through.”

“Okay,” replies Lewis, “We’ll have the police evacuate the area so you can deal with it.”

“That’s a good idea,” I agree, “I’m almost there by the way.”

“I’ll be keeping an eye on the situation,” says Lewis before hanging up.

I land about twenty metres from it. You can’t see anything with the naked eye, but my HUD is showing it clearly.

“So what am I looking at?” I say out loud to the empty area.

I’ve been waiting for something to happen for about five, maybe six, minutes when Sam calls me.

“Daniel,” says Sam, “I’m in the base. I’ve just seen the alert.”

“Nothing to worry about,” I reassure him, “It started roughly eight minutes ago and has done absolutely nothing since then. No need to come unless you want to be bored like I am.”

“I’ll pass,” answers Sam, “Just call me if something happens, okay?”

“I was planning to anyway,” I say.

“Bye,” says Sam before hanging up.

Another couple of minutes pass before something finally happens. I spot someone approaching on my HUD. I turn to look for the movement and I see a couple of people in police uniform as they approach. My HUD identifies one of the them as Inspector Oakley.

“Good day Inspector,” I call, “Nothing in the last ten minutes.”

“Hello to you too Sentinel,” replies Oakley as he and his companion get closer for me to see them properly.

I notice that his companion is a woman and is a mere constable. She has flaxen hair and a look of youth to her. She can’t be more than twenty two, twenty four at the most.

“This is Constable Eleanor Melville,” continues Oakley, “She’s a Class 3 and has sonic manipulation. She has only been on the force for a couple of months. What’s the situation?”

“Boring,” I answer, “It’s probably a microscopic interdimensional portal with a minimum threat level, but I don’t have enough data to be sure. Nothing has come through in the last ten minute however and seems like it’s going to stay that way.”

“Sounds like you’re just waiting for something to happen,” notes Oakley.

“It something doesn’t happen in the next half hour, I’m leaving,” I say, “I got my homework to finish.”

Oakley chuckles and both Melville and I look at him.

“Sorry,” says Oakley sheepishly, “But I never really imagined a superhero having to do homework.”

I’m about to reply when a swirling circle of multicoloured light appears.

No comments:

Post a Comment