Friday 22 May 2015

1.10 Ancient Warriors Part 10

Our merry band of superpowered beings attracted as much attention as one might expect as we strolled about London.

I couldn’t tell who attracted more stares, the superheroes or the knights. The Camelotians were more unusual, but we Leaguers were more recognisable.

The press and paparazzi also followed us around, taking photos where they could, but nobody tried to stop us for questions or get in our way. At least nobody was that dumb. It would have been annoying to deal with them.

If the press keeps this up, they might get back on my good side.

Normally I might have minded about being chased around like this by them, but as we’re technically on state business or whatever the term, we got nothing to hide or worry about. Camelot won’t care about any bad press anyway.

We visited several landmarks, including Big Ben, the London Eye, the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square and the Invasion Memorial.

“The city is most interesting,” notes Sir Brock, “It is much larger than Camelot.”

“I thought Camelot was a magical kingdom,” replies Lantern, clearly expecting further explanation.
I decide to might as well grant it to him.

“It is, but it’s basically in a sub-dimension of the Isles with waypoints that allow people to switch with one of the two dimensions they are in,” I explain, “Camelot has three meanings. First if the Kingdom of Camelot, the second is the castle in which the Knights of the Round Table reside in at the centre of the Kingdom and the third is the town that has sprung up around the castle. Sir Brock is referring to that last one and he is correct as the town is simply the size of a town.”

“Sentinel is correct Lantern,” Sir Brock confirms my own statements, “This city is many times the size of our town, but we have several landmarks our own.”

Sam starts to speak again, but I’m distracted as I hear a phone ringing. It takes me a moment to place it as it not coming through the armour before I realise the source.

Daniel Griffin’s phone aka my handheld communicator.

“Route to my armour and answer,” I whisper to my armour before telling the others, “I got to take a call.”

“Hello?” I say as I answer the call.

“Daniel?” replies my Dad, “Where are you?”

“Out with Sam, James and Sky,” I reply, turning off by armour’s PA so I can keep my conversation secret, “I already told you that this morning.”

“I know, but,” says Dad, but he hesitates.

“Is this about the tracking chip you put in the phone that I never use?” I inquire pleasantly.

“What the- How do you know about that?” demands Dad, “And why don’t you use it?”

“You just brought another phone when I already had a more advanced one that I have customised and modified to my liking,” I tell him, “So of course I don’t use an inferior device. Also, I found the tracking chip I decided to upgrade the phone you got me.”

“Damn it,” curses Dad, “It’s your sister.”

My heart stops. Metaphorically of course. If had really stopped, my armour’s life support would have kicked in.

“What happened?” I demand.

“She and one of her friends were going through one of the bad areas of town,” answers Dad, “I don’t why or what they were thinking by doing so, but they got jumped by some thugs from what they said. Beat them up a bit and stole their bags. Lily is currently in hospital. Nothing major fortunately.”

“Any idea on who did it?”  I ask, my voice hardening.

“None,” replies Dad, “Probably just some scum getting the drop on a pair of young girls. Your mother and I could really use you back here while now.”

“I’m sort of busy, but I could get home quickly if you wanted,” I say.

“No, its fine,” says Dad in a weary voice, “Just get home as quick as you can.”

“Okay, I’ll try and quicken things, but I’ll still be a while,” I tell my Dad before ending the call.

“Darn it,” I curse out loud, causing the others to look at me.

“What happened?” asks Sam.

“Back home some thugs jumped my sister,” I whisper so any bypassers can’t overhear, “In hospital. Going to deal with it when we get back and can’t do it as this me.”

“Need any help?” offers Sky.

“Maybe,” I mutter, “I don’t know exactly what I’m going to do right now. I do want to get home as soon as possible.”

I take a deep breath and think for a moment. The Sentinel can’t do anything to help Lily Griffin without causing even more trouble. It’ll be up to Daniel Griffin to aid his sister.

But that doesn’t mean the Sentinel can’t give Daniel Griffin a bit of help under table that no one will ever know about.

“Janelle,” I whisper.

“Yes?” comes the reply from the alien AI.

“My sister and her friend were attacked and robbed,” I tell her, “Find out who did covertly so I can deal with them later.”

I get Janelle’s okay and cut the connection,

The rest of the visit goes well, but I leave after a couple of hours and fly on home. I just couldn’t focus while I was worrying about my little sis.


But Janelle made my day a lot better the moment she told me that she has the information I requested.

No comments:

Post a Comment